Sunday 19 February 2012

Ballast

When I go to exhibitions, one of the main things I zero in on is the ballasting on each layout. I believe ballast is one of those things that can make or break a diorama depending on how realistic it looks. So I  like to see how each modeller tackles it.

I have crushed some actual ballast from the local area and if I can crush enough of it, I will use it. It should replicate the local ballast well considering it IS local ballast.
I am going to weather the rails with rust colour, the rails at Cronulla being particularly rusty on the sides due to the salt air from the sea nearby. I will probably airbrush some thinned light browny/grey over the rails and the ballast when laid.
Layouts that have weathered ballast look better in my opinion(as long as the weathering is subtle and appropriately coloured)

Here is a shot of  a small ballast check today..




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home